Friday, May 27, 2011

EVE Client-Side

So far I've been impressed with the EVE client. Even with Steam hooking in it hasn't crashed yet. In full-screen, full-GFX mode it looks and works well. In windowed, low-GFX mode it runs on the side monitor fine while I'm doing other things. At first I was a little annoyed that the sounds continue to play even when the client doesn't have focus. Nor is there any way to prevent it from doing that in the options. Yet when I'm doing something else, it's a nice cue. Like not hearing the mining lasers going means the asteroid is depleted or the cargo hold is full.

Happened to notice an EVE folder in My Documents that I didn't create. Turns out the client is placing all of it's screenshots and pilot captures there. Plus it's logging all of my chat! There's going to be a ton of stuff in there but being able to peruse Rookie Help at my leisure will be nice. There's a lot of fluff but occasionally helpful tidbits in there.

The windowing system is also pretty solid. Most everything can be moved around. Windows snap to edges smoothly. Each can be pinned or minimized, some even rolled up. The tabs and context menus work fine. Color is used infrequently so it works very well as emphasis. The short-cut keys are really odd (Alt-A for the character screen? Ctrl-S for auto-pilot?! Language translation I'm guessing) but all configurable.

Only real disappointing aspect I've found so far is switching characters. The client allows you to either exit completely or return to the login screen. It's not a big deal but the process takes a while. While the client was shutting down I started another only to find I had two logins going after a minute.

Looks like Incarna was announced yesterday—at least there was a big splash screen for it. Funny how they're big on addressing the lack-of-flesh issue right off with Captain's Quarters:



It's obvious that Zulu's first language isn't English but the video is well done. I'm surprised CCP decided to take this on because it is quite a departure, adding the characters as well as all the streaming interaction. I wonder if it will make the client too heavy. And what the users will want next? Will be interesting. And glad these content and tech updates are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment