Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Into the Vasty Deep

Let Steam download EVE well into the night. Was annoyed when I tried to log in I immediately get a message saying there's a 1.5 Incursion patch to download. It was only about 750mb but I thought one of the Steam advantages was keeping things current. Was a little nervous since all of the application data is hidden under the Steam folder archeticture so I hoped the installer from the game-maker would know where to put things ([Steam Root]\steamapps\common\eve online). Thankfully it didn't take long and went in without incident. Was into character creation in short order.

There were an amazing array of options so naturally I wanted to make my first character as flaming as possible. Came up with this:


Hell yeah! *lol* Unfortunately the game requires a "Top" selected before moving on so I ended up with this. After moving on it had me take snap shots in a little series that looked like those strips of photo that come out of mall machines. Was wondering how this was all going to be used. To be honest I was rather disappointed to find all my effort end up as this:


Now I understand what people were complaining about. Yet in the grand scheme it really shouldn't matter. This game is all about space and shouldn't be about how sex your flesh looks. And the next step made that point fast. The game kicked me out into space right away. I was in a starter ship and faced with learning controls. The tutorial was pretty good. The interface uses right-click for about everything, which I'd already gathered from reviews and videos. Killed a little test target then got into a nearby station, were skill training was introduced. Then it was recommended I go find the Career Mission givers. Lots to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment